DIY: Dragonfly Lamp

Good morning and Happy End-Of-The-Week!

I’ve mentioned a couple of times that I’m working on a client’s guest bedroom – complete from top to bottom.  I will of course have a lot of pictures for you when it is completed but for now, I want to show you this fun lamp I did for the room.

I started out with a basic white drum shade and decided to add some whimsy to it in the form of stripes and a dragonfly.

1)  I taped it off using the tape as my measuring tool for the top and bottom stripes.  Once the inside stripes were taped off, I removed the tape from the top and bottom.

2) I used FolkArt fabric paint in Lemon Custard and Metallic Silver Sterling.  I thought the Lemon Custard was a little too bright so I simply added a little of the silver to tone it down.

3)  I printed out a dragonfly print and used carbon/graphite paper to transfer it to the lamp.

4)  For contrast with the design, I wanted to use something organic rather than yarn for the dragonfly. I had some jute string on hand but it ended up being to thick to work with without possibly damaging the shade.

5) I switched to twine and it worked perfectly using a basic embroidery stitch.

6) I love how it turned out.  The juxtaposition of the twine against the metallic silver is just what I wanted.  The perfect balance.

7)  I debated on which base to use with the shade but I think this one wins out vs. a traditional wood base.  What do you think?

I will be working on the room this weekend.  The wood floors are installed, the walls are painted.  I will be working on the focal wood wall this weekend and hope to have some work-in-progress pictures for you next week.

Be inspired,

Linking to:

spring fling party button kate

Cowgirl Up! at Crafty Texas Girls
House of Grace – Twice Owned Tuesday
Embracing Change
Fireflies and Jellybeans
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Restore Interiors
Its Overflowing
domestically speaking: power of paint party
blue cricket design

The DIY Showoff
Be Different Act Normal
My1929Charmer: Sunday Best
Homemaker On A Dime
 Sisters of the Wild West – Sister Sunday Link Party

Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1. Cynthia says:

Very different, very pretty.

2. I love it, how do you think of these things :) I want to try this soon!

3. Twice Nice says:

Love it! I think working on lampshades is so fun. Yours will have to go in my inspiration file with the Anthro. ones. So very cool Shari!

4. says:

How beautifully creative, Shari! I love that color combination and the shade looks perfect with that base! Love.

5. trumatter says:

Beautiful. You are seriously talented. I am so loving the design. Also, yes, got ASCP now. :) Thank you so much.

6. Awesome!! I love it Shari!! I have been skulking around your blog for a few days now… and can I just tell you, you are a wonderfully talented lady! After reading all of you bloggers, I have finally decided to start my own, so… I am telling anyone who reads mine, about your lovely blog. Thank you sweetie for sharing with me, and I hope you have a wonderfully blessed day! :D

7. Desiree Guy @ Camelot Art Creations says:

I LOVE THIS!!! Great idea! Pinning it now:-)

8. Christine says:

WOW!!!! I'm impressed!!! The lamp is sooo PRETTY!!!!

I really hope you come by The DIY Dreamer and share:

9. I love it Shari!! The dragonfly looks great! You did such a great job!!

10. Inspire Me Heather says:

How fabulous! I love the dragonfly and the colours you chose too!

11. pam {simple details} says:

So clever! Love your choice of base, too!

12. Shirley@Housepitality Designs says:

That lampshade is the absolute cutest…what a great idea!

13. Wow – that is so cute! Nice job.

14. So creative! I adore the twine embroidery, and a dragonfly was the perfect thing! I'd love it if you'd share this at my Show & Tell party, going on now @ the Delectable Home.

15. Elizabeth and Gary says:

Wow, now this is creative! I am visiting from Between Naps on the Porch. I love your lamp and what a cool way to express yourself then to stitch on a lamp shade! I have enjoyed my visit with you today.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

16. Wow…This looks like such an expensive lampshade – You put a lot of effort in it and it shows! Well done!

17. Amanda @ Burlap & Denim says:

Too cute! Perfect color and design combo. I'd love you to link up at my first linky party:

18. Amanda @ Burlap & Denim says:

19. Jen Lossing says:

This is really cute. I love the color scheme and the hand stitch makes it even more special. Great job!

20. Chari at Happy To Design says:

Hi Shari…

Ohhh my…this is sooo pretty! What a GRAND idea to embroider the dragonfly with twine! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Warmest wishes,

21. Jo's This and That says:

Pretty! great idea! Thanks Joann

22. I love this idea – you had me at the stripes! Thank you for linking up to my Creative Inspirations party – I am so glad you came by! I would love for you to come back this week to link up again!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

23. Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) says:

Cute idea!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

24. Very creative. Could look retro without the dragonfly. Where did you get the base?

25. cheryl @ nefotlak. says:

stunning!! great tutorial also. thanks for sharing this lovely piece.
    cheryl xox.

26. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says:

Very pretty and a great color combination!

27. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says:

Very pretty and a great color combination!

28. Susan @ Oh My! Creative says:

Wow, It's gorgeous!

I would love if you would post it and share it with my readers! Join the Community and share any creative project!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

29. PitterAndGlink says:

This is beautiful!

30. That's awesome!!!! LOVE IT! Stopping over from BNOTP :)

31. I have to find a lampshade to do this to. I am so copying this. lol Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

32. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style says:

Cute lamp and thanks for sharing at Wow.

33. Kammy's Korner says:

so often, you make me say "wow"! That is a super sweet lampshade, Miss Shari. :)

34. Handbags*N*Pigtails says:

What a creative gal you are! :) I love the shape of the lamp. Is it from Target? I just saw some similar ones there but they were floor lamps.

35. Wow! Loving this shade makeover.

SO CREATIVE and lovely.

Glad I hopped over from Restore It Wednesday. I';m proud to be following now also : )

Starview Sonnet

36. Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} says:

What a great idea! I LOVE this shade!

37. Embroidered lamp shade… clever! I love the tripod base too… so chic!

38. Katie @ Little Becky Homecky says:

I love the color!! Very cute! I am slightly obsessed with the yellow and grey right now…:) Found you on A Glimpse Inside!

Katie @ Little Becky Homecky

39. Honey at 2805 says:

Very clever, indeed! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

40. Honey at 2805 says:

Very clever, indeed! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

41. Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence says:

What a great lamp–so unique!

42. How to Nest for Less says:

That is the COOLEST lamp shade!! Pinning this! Thanks for linking up this week :)

43. At The Picket Fence says:

That is sooooo fantastic Shari! It looks like something out of a catalog or Anthropolgie. You knocked that one out of the park for sure and we are so glad you shared it with us at Inspiration Friday this week!

44. I am going to do this for my office…so beautiful. Thanks for sharing you fantastic ideas, Lori

45. Although I have never been a fan of dragonflies, I adore this project! Super cute, great tute!

46. freckled laundry says:

This is beautiful, Shari! The twine detail is an awesome idea. Featuring this tonight! Thanks for sharing with air your laundry Friday.

47. Jeanette says:

Very dramatic! I did a project using embroidery thread. Would that have worked too?

48. Yes … the design is clearly needed to be changed :)
    What would be brighter , nebudu (