DIY: Wire Baskets

Good morning,

I was out in the shop the other day prepping some furniture and remembered that I had a small roll of wire fencing that was waiting to be used.

I have a purpose for it but decided I could afford to spare a few feet  to make some wire baskets for spring.

IMG_5911

I cut enough off to make three baskets:

• A large square @ 12”x12”x8”
  • A small square @ 5”x5”x5”
  • A small cylinder @ 6” diameter and 5” high

First, you will need these:

IMG_5869

Small needle- nose pliers, heavy-duty shears and strong wire.

*Before you begin creating your baskets, be sure to snip off all sharp points!

1)For the large square, I cut a 28”x28” piece, then cut out four corners at 8” square so that I could simply fold the sides up and start wiring together.

Before I attached the corners, I folded the top edge down to add a little stability around the rim.

Because of its large size, it didn’t square up properly.  Putting a solid base in at the bottom solved the problem immediately and it was good to go.

2012-03-18

2) For the smaller square, I kept the surround a solid piece and simply attached the base.  You can see that I wrapped it around so that the seam was in the middle.  You can have it meet in the corner if you choose, I just wanted a middle seam for my finishing touches that you will see tomorrow.

2012-03-181

3) For the cylinder, the surround is obviously one piece.  Time to bring back that middle school math to determine the length:

The circumference  is going to be the diameter x Pi.  In this case, it is 19.24” long.

2012-03-182

That is the end of the “construction” phase.

Tune in tomorrow to see how they got Spring-i-fied !!

*UPDATE:  Here is the dressed up version! *

Oh…and guess what?  …

Yep…little ol’ Meriwether is a finalist  – along with some other great projects!

Be inspired,

Linking to:
Centsational Girl – Spring Fling
spring fling party button kate

MONDAY
Fireflies and Jellybeans
Primitive and Proper
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Restore Interiors
Primp
Its Overflowing
domestically speaking: power of paint party
blue cricket design

My1929Charmer: Sunday Best
Homemaker On A Dime
 Sisters of the Wild West – Sister Sunday Link Party

Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Under The Table And Dreaming

DIY Club
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share/Bookmark

Comments

1. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

how cool are those! you are always chock full of clever ideas! i love it! a fountain of cleverness. ;)

2. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

3. Carrie@comfortablycarriedaway says:

How creative are you!? Can't wait to see the finished products!

4. You made your own darn wire baskets?!?!?! Who thinks to do that???? Who thinks to copy that?????? Me.

~Bliss~

5. Anonymous says:

Nice basket ideas!! Ms Smartie pants!!!! Can't wait to see the 'Spring-i-fied' results!! Oh, and Way 2 Go on the "Contender" status!!!!!! Not surprising, Meriwether is a beaut!!!!! Chelle kweenbee_612@yahoo.com

6. Haha! I was thinking the same thing!!

7. REALLY cute idea!

8. Very neat idea. I love that you found such a cool use for the wire.

9. Barbara Jean says:

clever!!
    thanks for how to's.

blessings
    barbara jean

10. Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage says:

Great job on the basket, Shari. I can't wait to see it all "springy"! Congrats on being a finalist. ;)

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week. It's good to have you back.

Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

11. Laura Hernandez says:

Found your blog via the Blog Hop. I’m your newest GFC follower!

12. Amy - while wearing heels says:

Ok WOW. You have saved me so much money. 1. What a great idea and 2. you executed it flawlessly. I am impressed!

amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

13. I love this, so smart :-)

14. These turned out perfectly. I recently made a rectangular basket using the frame of an old wicker basket and some small hole chicken wire and painted oil rubbed bronze to make it look more vintage. It did turn out pretty good but I wanted to make a few locker baskets and yours are exactly what I had in mind.
    Could you tell more details about the wire fencing (hardware cloth)? Do you know the gauge & hole size? I want some baskets to look just like yours.

thanks for the tute!

15. Clever idea! I love your wire baskets!

16. thistlewoodfarm says:

Visiting from Centsational Girl! I absolutely LOVE your baskets. I had no idea you could make your own. I am totally pinning these.

Thanks for the inspiration.

blessings,
    karianne

17. Laura Ingalls Gunn says:

I am visiting via Centsational Girl. I adore your project. So clever!

Happy day, happy spring, happy happy everything!

18. reFresh reStyle says:

Love these! and how lucky am I that I just bought some wire! They are great!
    Debbie

19. Brilliant!!! I never thought of making my own!
    Shannon
    (www.akadesign.ca)

20. Oh hallelujah, girlfriend for giving us this wonderful gift! I LOVE 'em! Now I have to attempt them!

21. Dear Emmeline says:

Love em!! Time to start crafting. Since I keep ending up on your page to see one of your projects or another…I should follow along! Come visit me @ dearemmeline.blogspot.com ….I'd love to have you follow along with me too!

22. Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence says:

i love these and want to try some–thanks for sharing!

23. Kim @ Too Much Time says:

These are simply AWESOME! I have that very wire fencing in my garage right now. It is so darn pokey and sharp I just stare at it and dream of projects because I am afraid to touch it! You made this look pretty easy and I just adore wire baskets. I think I am going to put on my heavy duty gardening gloves and get started:)

24. cheryl @ nefotlak. says:

love these! thanks for sharing.
    cheryl xox.

25. These are fantastic! and I have everything I need to make them! going now to see how you used them. I'm visiting from FJI, SNS, and I'm now a GF and Linky follower here.

26. Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made says:

Wow! At first I was thinking this would be impossible but you make it seem possible and the results are wonderful!

27. Shabby Marilyn says:

How clever, and I love the dressed up ones! I am your newest follower, glad to find you! Stop by for a visit and hope to see you follow along too!

28. I never would have thought about making my own baskets! Yours are divine. I'm a new follower.

29. Wowzer…am I impressed!

30. Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm says:

Wow! I never thought about making my own wire baskets, but I sure do have some of that fencing and all the materials to do it!! Thanks for the tutorial and nice job!

31. These baskets are awesome. I really want to give them a try. Thanks for the tutorial. Now to go see the dressed up version.
    Ruth

32. inner_child says:

So clever! Love these baskets, been looking for some just like this. Impressed that you made them!
    Paula ~ Mise en scène

33. Karah @ thespacebetweenblog says:

This is such a great idea! Folding over the edging…just perfect. I love it! :) This wouldn't be necessarily easy for me, but if you have any super simple projects or tips you'd like to share I'm hosting a link party today with a few fellow bloggers. I'd be great to see you linked up. :)
    Karah

34. Great baskets! I love the way you dressed them up. I am your newest follower.

Have a great week.

35. THE FARMHOUSE PORCH says:

LoVe LoVe LoVe this! I would love for you to come share this at my linky party, Cowgirl Up! going on right now!
    ♥Linsey

36. These are GREAT! Thanks so much for sharing. I made baskets from chicken wire, but these look more functional than mine. I am your newest follower. I hope you can visit me sometime. :)

37. How to Nest for Less says:

WOW, super crafty girl!!!

38. The DIY Show Off says:

Love these! Great tutorial too! Thanks so much for sharing!

39. cathy@my1929charmer says:

Love them, and how clever are you. Wow you really gave us a great tutorial to make out own, we would have not problem following it. Now I can make all the baskets I need in the size I need. Thanks so much. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best!

40. Beth @ Free Stylin' says:

You always have THE COOLEST projects!! LOVE these baskets. Thanks so much for the tutorial. :)

41. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says:

Wow, you are one clever girl! Love this idea!

42. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says:

Wow, you are one clever girl! Love this idea!

43. Holly Lefevre says:

These are sooo very coool! I have a vintage wire egg basket and love it and want more…but these look so similar in style, I think I may just make them! Thanks!

44. corner wardrobe says:

These baskets are so cute. I really want to give them a try. Thanks

Trackbacks