Good morning everyone,
I’m showing you my latest piece that I had planned on showing you yesterday…
This piece has quite a story…
A while back, I purchase a really beautiful piece of furniture that I have not shown you yet. It is a very old cabinet with shelves on top and drawers on the bottom. I purchased it with the intent to find a base for it and create a substantial cabinet with an old farmhouse look. Some options came and went and nothing really met my expectations.
I then came across this piece (below) that I thought would work.
But it didn’t.
So my hunt for a base for the first cabinet was put on hold while I searched for a top for this piece.
I then purchased a really old piece that I hope would be the perfect match once I got it home.
But it wasn’t.
So I now have two “tops” that didn’t work on this “bottom.”
But, this “bottom” still needed a teammate because it certainly wasn’t speaking to me as an individual.
One day last week (yes…not very long ago…) I realized that the piece I was looking for was right in front of me – in my own inventory!
I know! Seriously!!?? Don’t judge me.
This old shelf that John brought to me from Montana turned out to be the perfect match.
So with myFall Open House deadline looming, and my need for this piece to be done before that, I got to work.
The key was to get them harmoniously happy with a good makeover.
Like I mentioned, the intent was to create a farmhouse look – but in Homestead fashion.
Something with history. Lots of stories to tell. Something that looks like it has been through a lot – in a good way.
Still standing strong (and this is definitely a strong, sturdy piece of furniture) and ready for the next chapter.
The paint is combination of a lot of things.
The inside is painted with a mixture of chalk paint that I just mixed – without thought or measurements – until the color I wanted appeared.
French Linen, Coco, Chateau Gray, Olive, Paris Gray – all blended together to create a subtle, gorgeous taupe.
Rather than waxing the inside, it is finished with a wipe-on poly.
The outside is a combination of Annie Sloan chalk paint in Country Gray, Miss Mustard Seed milk paint in Grainsack , shellac, clear wax and dark wax.
Not to mention the use of bonding agent and crackle medium as well.
Sounds crazy, huh?
These pieces take TIME.
Not quite as much time that has taken its toll on the top piece as you can see here – but I didn’t want to repair it.
It deserves to display its wear and tear proudly.
The back light makes it look as though the inside is two different colors, but it isn’t.
If you look at the “before” picture of the top piece, you will see that it sat on feet with an open space underneath. That needed to be altered so the best solution – after a little brainstorming – was to just attach a piece of wood on the inside.
I like how it creates some architectural interest so to speak.
With regard to the finish, I created a “sandpaper peel” in certain areas.
It takes a few steps – and patience – to get this to happen. I will do a tutorial in the future rather than try to explain it now without pictures. I did this technique on Countryside and Old Clover as well.
The little surprise is that it has a large cutting board surface that pulls out.
The inside of the drawers are painted with the same chalk paint mix that I used on the inside of the hutch top.
The inside of the base is natural wood and I wanted to keep it that way.
These are the original latch-catchers that were on it when it once had doors.
The knobs I chose are pretty fancy-schmancy but I loved the contrast of something a little more glam with a straight-forward worn piece.
They are a bronze finish with floral details and tiny mirror pieces that circle the edge.
And they are heavy.
So there you have it.
Many more years of stories to create with a new owner.
Have a super day today!
PS: I wanted to let you know that if you have emailed me, and have not received a response, it is not because I have forgotten you! I have been spending many hours away from my computer getting ready for next weekend that I have simply not had any time to do anything but get my posts ready. Unfortunately, something had to take a backseat and that was it. I apologize and will try to respond soon!