How is your week going so far? I’ve been working on little things that took a backseat while I was getting ready for last weekend’s open house but I feel like I’m not even putting a dent into the list. I am also taking some time to focus on things other than business. Yesterday wasCassidy’s birthday (22!!) so we will be celebrating that this weekend when all of our schedules can align.
And, I’ve been spending some time with Joey doing some school shopping, movie, football camp – and taking him to get his braces on later today.
Braces. Middle School.
And so it starts!
Today I wanted to share a piece with you that you may have noticed when I showed you the bird cage display the other day.
It is a vintage Broyhill credenza/dresser that had taken a beating over the years.
This is what it looked like when I came across it…
It had a lot of scratches, dings and paint marks that needed to go but I didn’t want to paint it.
I loved the color and look of it as I imagined its former glory.
To be honest, I did not want the chore of stripping it down 100% and doing a full refinish. I didn’t have the time – or the patience – right now so I decided to do a “mini” refinish and this is how it turned out…
Unfortunately, I don’t have any step-by-step pictures, but it is easy enough to explain.
The top was stripped down completely and then refinished with Golden Pecan by Minwax.
Walnut is usually my stain color of choice, and still one of my favorites, but Golden Pecan is quickly making a move for the top.
I sealed it with a rub-on poly in clear stain, three coats.
I didn’t want any shine, just a deep richness.
For the body…
I first took a sanding block in 60 grit and gave it a good swipe everywhere to get as much shine off as I could. It worked pretty well.
I took all the drawers out and gave it all a good wipe-down and vacuumed the inside.
I then cleaned it really well with Restor-A-Finish in Neutral using a 0000 steel wool pad (wiping it down with a clean cloth afterward to remove any steel wool residue.)
I then took the Golden Pecan stain and rubbed it in on the entire surface (except the top since it was already finished.)
I let it dry…then did it again.
The key to this step is to not saturate your rag and to rub it in really well so that the stain gets in all the little grooves, scratches, faded wood, etc…
For the hardware, I had a tricky predicament.
It was missing ONE handle.
I HATE it when that happens!
These handles were impossible to find – and hard to replace since they were 5 3/8” center on center. Of the options I could find, I liked none of them. ZERO.
The other issue was that the missing handles triangle back plates had left deep grooves that my sanding block could not remove and since I wasn’t painting or doing a total refinish, I could not fill them and get away with it.
So I ended up using some knobs that I already had: pewter cast iron with large back plates.
Normally, I’m not a big fan of double knobs on a drawer where handles/pulls are mean to be but my options were limited this time around.
Since the original handles were black, I primed and painted them a pewter color to match the knobs.
The end result is a piece that looks like it is almost new again.
And a lot of time saved.
Enjoy your day!